Winter’s hanging on….and on….and on. So soups are still on the menu here. How about you? Today’s soup is chuck full of vegetables and black beans. Add a little dairy free sour cream right before you eat it and it gets a little creamy.
So whether or you are a vegan, vegetarian or meat eater who enjoys a meatless meal now and then, this is a good soup for you. It is comfort food. It makes a lot, so I freeze some for a later day when I do not feel like cooking.
You may be interested in these six soups and stews as well:
Veggie Black Bean Soup
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 T. minced garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth), divided
- 1 T. oil
- 3 cans black beans, rinsed, soaked, drained and rinsed again
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 T. tomato paste
- 2 T. xylitol (or white sugar), optional
- 4 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- dairy free sour cream if desired
- Heat 1/4 cup of broth with 1 T. oil in a large pot.
- Add onions, celery, carrot and red pepper.
- Cook and stir until vegetables are tender.
- Add garlic, remaining broth, beans, tomatoes, tomato paste, xylitol and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 40-50 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream of choice if desires.