When you get tired of all the Christmas sweets and foods, you can make this down home, comfort food beef stew.
This beef stew is the best one I ever ate. Once I made this I have not gone back to any of my old stew recipes. It has fast become a favorite. And I think it will for you too.
Make this stew on a day when you are home in the afternoon and on a chilly day. It takes about three hours in the oven. It’s a perfect way to warm up the house and your insides.
What do think? Will you try this? If you do, come back and let me know!
The Best Beef Stew
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 1/2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 (5.5oz) cans of lo-sodium vegetable juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup quick cooking tapioca
- 1 T. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups fresh green beans, snapped in half
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large (2 1/2 qt.) stoneware, casserole, or dutch oven place the meat, potato, onion, celery and carrots.
- In a bowl, mix the vegetable juice, water, tapioca, sugar, salt, oregano, and pepper.
- Pour over meat and vegetables. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 2 hours, 15 minutes.
- Add the green beans, cover, and bake another 30 minutes or until all vegetables and meat are tender.