I love soups, stews and chili this time of year. I love to make them and eat them. Today I bring you a vegan chili that is so hearty. This is a good way to introduce people to meatless soups or a good way to start trying them yourself. You will not miss the meat.
I bring this recipe (slightly tweaked) to you from More Choices, Eat Well, Live Well by Cheryl D. Thomas-Peters, RD. It is a decent cookbook.
Serve with corn bread or biscuits and a green salad and you have a complete meal.
Vegetable Chili-Vegan Style
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small red or green pepper, chopped
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. sugar, honey or agave nectar
- 1 cup cubed zucchini
- dairy/soy free (or allowable) sour cream
- Peel and cubed potatoes and cook for a few minutes in microwave to start the softening process.
- In a large saucepan, combine the “pre-cooked” potatoes with all the ingredients except the zucchini.
- Break up tomatoes with kitchen scissors. Stirring occasionally, bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes.
- Add cubed zucchini. Cover and simmer until zucchini are tender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with allowable sour cream, if desired.