I am always on the lookout for a great brownie. Brownies are the ONE thing that is next to impossible to make without eggs. I have tried recipe after recipe of vegan brownies with little to no success. So when I saw the words, “build a better brownie” in an Oprah magazine a couple of years ago, it grabbed my attention. (Recipe that follows was slightly adapted from that).
Okay, so I’ve made the recipe twice about a year apart. The recipe works. It tastes pretty good. I dare say it’s healthy. It is chocolaty. But I wouldn’t call it a brownie. I’d call it a “fudge like square.” Okay, it’s not quite fudge, but it’s not a brownie either. Maybe “chocolate dessert bar” would be a good name for it.
Anyway, if you are looking for healthy ways to eat chocolate this is it. If you want to consume more avocados this is a great way to do it. If you like quick, no bake goodies this recipe is for you.
So, now that I’ve given it more thought, I think I will call this “Minty Chocolate Dessert Bar.”
Now….off too look for a great brownie while I eat my healthy chocolate treat.
Minty Chocolate Dessert Bars
- 2 cups pecans or other allowable nut
- 1 2/3 cups dates
- 1/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 4 avocados, divided
- 1 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 tsp. + 1/8 tsp. mint extract (optional)
- In a large food processor, combine nuts, dates, 1/8 tsp. salt, vanilla, and one avocado (peeled and pitted), and 1/2 cup cocoa powder.
- Pulse until well combined and there are no longer big pieces of dates or nuts.
- Pat into an 8×8 pan. Use wet hands if necessary. Place in freezer.
- Wipe out food processor with a paper towel.
- Peel and pit the remaining 3 avocados. Place in food processor.
- Place the remaining 1/8 tsp. salt, 1/2 cup cocoa powder and agave nectar in the food processor.
- Pulse until well combined.
- If using mint extract, add mint and pulse for another 30-60 seconds.
- Remove pan from freezer.
- Spread the chocolate mint mixture over the base.
- Freeze for 3 hours.
- Cut bars into squares and place in freezer safe container. Store in freezer.