Chicken. Rice. Beans. These are three things I like to keep in the house for a quick meal. Often that quick meal is Jerk Chicken Rice and Beans. But recently, I was out of jerk seasoning and out of the spices to make my own jerk seasoning.
Yet, I had already thawed chicken and an open can of kidney beans. So I cooked without a recipe and as I went along I made sure to take good notes. What came out was this easy dish.
Chicken, rice and beans cooked similarly to my jerk chicken recipe, but with much milder seasoning. As you stir fry the chicken you’ll get brown bits stuck to the bottom of your pan. This is good! Yep! When you add the chicken broth and start scraping it up, it adds rich flavor so don’t try to discard it or even keep it from happening.
Great weeknight meal!
Easy and Mild Chicken, Rice and Beans
- 1 T. oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 chicken tenders, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed, soaked, drained and rinsed again
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- brown rice cooked in chicken broth (I start with 2/3 cup dry rice and follow package directions)
- Heat oil over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chicken.
- Cook and stir until chicken is mostly cooked through.
- Add beans, chicken broth and spices. Stir to scrap up any brown bits from bottom of pan. (This adds flavor).
- Turn heat to low and simmer with lid on until liquid is absorbed.
- Serve over rice.