Need a good cornbread recipe? How about a gluten free, allergy friendly and vegan one? This one is all that! And yes, it tastes really good.
I do not post any baked good recipes without making the recipe several times. I want to make sure they really work and really taste well. I’ve tried too many recipes that were a waste of time and ingredients. And I don’t want to waste yours. 🙂
I have adapted this from The Food Allergy Mama’s Baking Book by Kelly Rudnicki. You can make this in an 8×8 pan or a 9×9 pan. If you use an 8×8 pan they will look like the picture above. Cornbread using a 9×9 pan will look like the below picture.
Enjoy! Let me know how you like it in the comments below. Or just comment to make my day!
- 1 1/2 cups dairy free buttermilk (place 1 1/2 T. vinegar in liquid measure and add rice milk until you reach the 1 1/2 cup line)
- 1/4 cup dairy and soy free shortening (or regular shortening)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sugar (or coconut sugar to make it vegan)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 T. water
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Make your “buttermilk” per instructions in ingredient list.
- Melt the shortening in a large bowl. by Discount Buddy”>
- In another bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, sugar, soda and salt.
- Add dry ingredient to the melted shortening.
- Add the “buttermilk.”
- Add the 2 T. water and thoroughly combine.
- Spray an 8x 8 or 9×9 pan with cooking spray.
- Spread batter in pan and bake for 18 minutes.