With the wind blowing, leaves turning color (although drably), the endless drop of acorns, and the cool temps, nothing beats chili for supper on a night like today. There are endless versions of chili…ones with ground beef, with beans or without, with pasta or not, white chilis (think chicken), vegetarian and probably many more. Today I bring you a chili with a different twist yet.
Adapted from my Taste of Home’s 2007 Contest Winning cookbook, this chili is reminiscent of Italian foods using Italian sausage, spaghetti sauce, and pepperoni to name just a few ingredients. This will warm you up from the inside out and will be a hit with kid and adult alike.
Chili-Italian Style And Allergy Friendly
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (26oz) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 can kidney beans, rinsed, soaked and drained
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup (or 1 pouch of a 3.5 oz. package) of sliced gluten free pepperoni, halved
- 5 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Brown ground turkey, sausage, onion and pepper until meat is no longer pink. Drain the fat off.
- In large soup pot, combine the ground meat mixture and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for at least 30 minutes.