When I think of pasta salad I think “hot summer lunch.” But it does not have to be hot or be summer to enjoy a pasta salad. And it does not have to be lunch. It could be a side dish or salad to a meal. It could even be a snack.
Pasta salads are a great way to get in some raw vegetables. And you do not really have to follow a recipe. Use whatever vegetables you want or have on hand. And all you need is a little dressing to pour over top. Or you can even make you own dressing to fit your dietary needs or desires. I adapted this recipe from a handwritten recipe card given to me at my bridal shower years ago. It has been a favorite ever since.
So, get your knives out, start chopping some vegetables, and enjoy a pasta salad that does not come from a box!
This post also shared at Gluten Free Fridays.
Must Have Pasta Salad
- 2 1/2 cups brown rice rotini pasta (or regular wheat pasta)
- 1/2 medium red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Cook bacon if using.
- Chop all vegetables.
- Drain pasta, toss in the vegetables, and pour dressing over top and gently stir. Cover and chill.
- Add bacon, if using, right before serving.